$7.2 Million – Product Liability
RCRSD partner Bill Shapiro handled this personal injury action where the plaintiff‚ an infant boy‚ suffered massive burns when his 4 year old brother lit the house on fire. While his parents were sleeping‚ the brother was playing with a "long nose utility lighter" that he thought was a toy. That model of lighter was designed and manufactured by a manufacturer who also manufactured regular cigarette lighters that had mandatory childproof mechanism‚ a feature the utility lighter did not have. Discovery revealed that long before the date of the subject fire‚ the manufacturer already had a design for the same childproof mechanism on its long nose utility lighter‚ including mock ups that were operational. The company refused to implement the childproof safety mechanism into its long nose utility lighter.